I am not sure where this recipe came from but its a great way to have succotash on a chilly day when you don’t have fresh garden vegetables. My step-dad makes a great succotash in the summer for us and I miss it so much in the winter. The hubby devoured two big bowls along with sweet corn muffins and voted it a keeper recipe. My husband and kids have a rating we have been using for several years to help me get through the mounds of recipes I want to try. The recipes are deemed either a keeper (they really like it) , it’s ok (so not their favorite but they would eat if they had to), or not so much (meaning throw that away)! Luckily my family has no problem being honest about food as they are all foodies as well. That of course doesn’t mean that we always agree, so expect to see recipes some of us like with some comments from some of the others saying they don’t…and that’s what this site is about, sharing all our foodie thoughts.
- 5 pieces bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bag frozen lima beans (apprx. 2 cups), thawed
- 1 bag frozen corn (apprx. 3 cups), thawed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Fry bacon in dutch oven until crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain. Meanwhile cook onion in bacon drippings until tender.
- Stir in flour and cook until becomes a thin paste. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil and stir until becomes slightly thickened.
- Crumble bacon and add with corn, beans, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Reduce to low and simmer 15 miinutes.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in heavy cream.