Many years ago there was a box cake mix and a canned frosting of this same flavor and I never even thought of making one homemade. I missed the flavors that cake offered which enticed me to find a homemade version. I found one similar to this sometime ago and just now got around to trying it. I wish I had done so sooner as this is much better than a box mix (imagine that) and is simply one of the most moist cakes and decadent icings I have had. It’s actually very simple to make especially in a 9 x 13 pan and I feel sure you won’t be disappointed. Cake Recipe is Below – See Sour Cream Vanilla Icing Post for that Recipe.
|Sour Cream Chocolate Cake w/ Sour Cream Vanilla Icing||
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs – room temperature
- 2/3 cup sour cream – room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup corn or safflower oil
- 1 1/2 cups water – ice cold
- Grease and flour 2 – 9″ round cake pans (can put parchment paper between grease and flour) Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa soda and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs until well blended. Whisk in sour cream and vanilla and set aside.
- With electric mixer mix melted butter and oil together on low. Add cold water and mix to blend.
- Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix on medium for 1 minute scraping down sides as necessary.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake for 35 minutes or until done. Cool 15 minutes.
- Invert onto wire rack, peel off papaer and cool.