Today my daughter called asking for one of her favorites, White Chicken Chili. (I was informed that I was a slacker because I hadn’t made it in a while lol) She found this great little Cajun Restaurant and her two favorite dishes are Crawfish Etouffe and White Chicken Chili. Being allergic to seafood 🙁 the only dish I could try to recreate was the chili. She tells me mine is better than theirs which makes me smile (although I think she’s a bit partial considering). Hope you try it and enjoy it as much as the rest of our family.
|White Chicken Chili||
- 16 ounces cannellini beans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning + extra for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 4.5 oz cans chopped green chilis
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked rice, prepared
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- olive oil (for cooking chicken)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Season chicken with creole seasoning. Saute chicken in a little olive oil.
- Add onions. (The juices from the chicken should be enough Liquid to saute onions but if not add small amount of the butter.
- Cook onion until almost tender. Add rest of seasonings and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the butter and allow to melt. Stir in flour. Gradually add the broth and then the half and half.
- Continue cooking and stirring on low until begins to thicken.
- Stir in beans, chilis, tomatoes and rice. Stir in sour cream. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Top with cheddar cheese.