Red Velvet Cake is one of my favorite cakes and it holds a couple special memories. First it was one of the last things I made my Dad before he passed and he was able to eat an entire piece with 2 cups of milk. Second I have fond memories of my aunt making it when I visited. She said she hasn’t it made it for quite sometime but she did send me this shortcut recipe she cut out of the Tompkinsville newspaper (the town I was born in). I tried the recipe and it was even better than the all “scratch” version. Hope you try the recipe and if you have a great version please share with us. You will notice the recipe calls for sweet milk in place of water, that is what they used to call regular milk. I used skim but you can use whatever you like. I made the cake in two 9″ round pans but it is equally as good in a 9 x 13 and iced right in the pan for easy to go cake!
|Super Simple Red Velvet Cake||
- 1 box yellow cake mix (no pudding)
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 large eggs (or as called for on box)
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- sweet milk (substitute for water amount called for on box)
- sweet milk simply means milk)
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Mix together all ingredients and pour into two 9″ greased and floured pans.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until done.
- Cool and Frost with Cream Cheese Icing.
- To make Icing: Cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Gradually mix in powdered sugar. Stir in nuts.
- Spread on cooled cake.