I love different kinds of potato salad so this months potato salad challenge was really fun for me. I was already trying to copy a Steakhouse Potato Salad from Meijers so this gave me another excuse to keep trying. Jami Sorrento was our June Daring Cooks hostess and she chose to challenge us to celebrate the humble spud by making a delicious and healthy potato salad. The Daring Cooks Potato Salad Challenge was sponsored by the nice people at the United States Potato Board, who awarded prizes to the top 3 most creative and healthy potato salads. A medium-size (5.3 ounce) potato has 110 calories, no fat, no cholesterol, no sodium and includes nearly half your daily value of vitamin C and has more potassium than a banana! I made my potato salad with regular ingredients but it is very simple to make it healthier and I will put the healthier choices in parentheses beside the ingredients.
|Steakhouse Potato Salad||
- 1 1/2 lbs red potatoes
- 6 slices bacon, diced (turkey bacon for healthier alternative)
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 oz jar pimentos, diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (reduced fat cheese for healthier alternative)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Hidden Valley Buttermilk Dressing (not ranch) (low fat for healthier alternative)
- Dice potatoes and cook until fork tender. Drain & Cool (Do Not Overcook or they will smash up in your salad ) While they are cooking, dice up the bacon and fry until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Dice the onion, green pepper & pimento and place in a bowl. Add the dressing, bacon, cheese, salt and pepper. Fold in the potatoes. Chill for a couple hours for the best results.