Imagine my surprise when I opened my email and found an invite from my friend Nelly to a Pie Party…she lives in the Dominican Republic! Well of course with further reading it was a Facebook Pie Party, one that when it was said and done had around 1200 people signed up! What fun to see what was happening around the globe with an all time favorite. I myself decided that I wanted to see if I could shake things up a bit and be different. Thus my choice for a cracker pie. The ingredients are simple and so is the process yet it turns out to be a wonderfully rich tasty pie. Don’t let the crackers scare you off, I promise you will have no idea they are in there from the very first bite! Enough said…here is the recipe…I need to go find 1200 other pies…hope you search around and see what else you can find as well!
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 16 soda cracker squares crushed
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup crushed pineapple drained
- 8 ounces cool whip
- coconut & pecans for garnish optional
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tarter and beat until stiff. Fold in sugar. Fold in crackers and pecans. Spread into well greased pie plate. Bake @350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool completely. Spread with pineapple and then cool whip. Sprinkle with coconut and more pecans if desired. Refrigerate.
Some pictures of what the pie looks while putting together:
Right: Bottom of pie baked before pineapple & cool whip.
Right: Pie ready to refrigerate / serve