I have met so many new friends thru Twitter, one such friend is Stasha over at The Good Life http://northwestmommy.com She has started a fun thing called Monday Listicles. Every Monday she posts a list about different things and asks others to link their lists up as well as she graciouslly is posting the links on her site. Her suggestion for this weeks lists was 10 Green Things. Seeing as how I am a foodie I tried to keep it along those lines although not in any particular favorite order.
1. Green Peas – Great alone, creamed, in casseroles and salads. Good for little fingers to hold and eat as well as good sized for that picky eater to remove from their food and place on the edge of the plate in the “I don’t think so pile”
6. Peppers – Bell, Serrano, Cubanella, Fajita Bell are my favorite. I use green peppers all the time. Serrano and cubanellas are my guacomole peppers and fajita bells make well fajitias obviously just a bit spicer. I have never seen fajita bells in the stores but we grow them in the garden every year.
8. Lettuce – I know that all of you are familiar with lettuce but I do urge you to try different varieties if you haven’t already. Almost anything is good in almost any kind of lettuce! The dressing choices are so vast and lettuce and fruit make such a great combo.
9. Cucumbers – Great in salads, in vinegar, sprinkled with salt or my favorite on top of rye bread spread with cream cheese with a bit of dry italian dressing mixed in and sprinkled with a touch of dill….oh so addictive!
10. Herbs – the very essence of food. Without herbs/seasonings all our food would be so bland. I think that is were many a home cook goes wrong is with the lack of seasoning or flavoring their foods. Herbs are actually very easy to grow and is a great money saver. I also keep dryed herbs at all times and I keep them in 1/2 pint jars in a kitchen drawer!
I hope you have enjoyed my list of green foods and would love to hear from you as to what some of your favorite green foods are!