I recently purchased a square muffin pan and I have been excited to try it. I have been craving the delicious cake my niece had at her wedding so I decided to try and make some almond cupcakes. I used a basic white sheet cake recipe and added almond instead of vanilla and whipped up some basic buttercream frosting substituting almond for the vanilla in that as well. The cupcakes turned out very moist and tasty and the icing was rich as expected (you might even want to cut back on the icing)
Although I enjoyed these very much I am still on the search for more of a basic “wedding cake” taste with almond flavor…anyone want to share a recipe?????
|Almond Cupcakes w/ Almond Buttercream Frosting||
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cups sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In large saucepan bring butter and water to boil. Remove from heat. Stir together flour, sugar, soda, and salt. Beat eggs, sour cream & almond extract together. Add flour mixture and egg mixture to pan and stir until blended.
- Pour into sprayed muffin pan (12 muffins). Bake 350 degrees for 17 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched and cake is golden.
- Cool for 15 minutes in pan before removing.
- For Frosting:
- Cream butter. Add milk and 1/2 of sugar and mix well. Add remaining sugar & almond extract and beat until smooth. Spread on cooled cupcakes.