I am on a mission to get through my thousands of recipes and try new things. It is so easy to always revert to an old favorite when I am tired and so often the kids or The Hubby have cravings for their favorites. However, this isn’t helping get through the list. I tried to convince myself that I need to not look at any cookbooks or magazines until I can go through and use the recipes I have saved, after all if I tried several new recipes a day I wouldn’t be able to try them all before I die, even if I live to be 102 (my goal age, lol, I plan on driving people crazy a loooonnnggg time!) As you can imagine this really isn’t working for me, anything foodie related just seems to call my name.
Last night’s attempt at new recipes was a hit. The recipes were Applesauce BBQ Chicken (found in Simple & Delicious Magazine) and Broccoli Stuffing Casserole (no idea where I got this one) I forgot to snap the plate picture until dinner was over and I was putting away leftovers so it’s not the best picture.
The broccoli stuffing casserole was also good. The Hubby ate two large plates of it and kept going on about how much flavor it had. Both dishes were easy to make and were quick.
I was a bit short on sour cream for the broccoli casserole so I added some heavy cream to make up the difference. I hope that all of you are adventurous and don’t let a missing ingredient keep you from trying new recipes. If you find something similar to substitute with a lot of times you might even like the dish better, be creative. My son has tried some unlikely combinations from some bare cupboards and came up with some good dishes. So last nights dinner newbies have been moved from the try folders to the keeper folder and now to figure out what is new for tonight!
|Applesauce BBQ Chicken & Broccoli Stuffing Casserole||
- Applesauce BBQ Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup chunky applesauce (I used regular not chunky)
- 2/3 cup bbq sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ Sauce)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Broccoli Casserole
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 8 ounces sour cream (I was a bit short so I added heavy cream)
- 1 can cream broccoli soup
- 10 ounces frozen broccoli, thawed
- 6-8 ounce box cornbread stuffing mix, divided
- 16 ounces grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 Tablespoons margarine, melted
- Applesauce BBQ Chicken:
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper. In large skillet brown chicken in olive oil on both sides.
- In a small bowl, conbine the remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken and simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Broccoli Stuffing Casserole:
- Spray casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In large bowl mix egg, onion, sour cream, soup, brocoli, half stuffing and half cheese.
- Pour into casserole dish. Mix remaining stuffing and cheese. Add margarine.
Sorry the recipes are combined in one…I can’t figure out how to open two recipe windows with my program. For ease please look in the recipe box for each one individual, Applesauce BBQ Chicken in Main Dishes and Broccoli Stuffing Casserole can be found in On The Side.