I enjoy joining in on Monday Listicles over at The Good Life (www.northwestmommy.com) but this weeks subject threw me a bit. The subject was chosen by @AdoTheMomalog (www.themomalog.com) and her idea was family tree. Since I relate everything to food I started thinking of foods I love prepared by people in my family tree. What i discovered is that a lot of my family make the exact same foods and that I am not sure where I get this interest in all things foodie and wanting to constantly try different things! I found that biscuits, dumplings, and Kentucky BBQ topped the list and that everyone in our family, even the guys excel in the Kentucky BBQ department! I also discovered that I just don’t have enough photos of the food I love so I am warning all family and friends now that I am going to become quite annoying with the picture taking of food! Here is a list of some family members and the foods I love:
1. The Hubby, my Uncle Melvin, my Brother Jerry, & My Cousin Chris I credit for the best Kentucky BBQ (I make the sauce here though because I make it a smidgen different but The Hubby ALWAYS mans the grill, he is awesome and I wouldn’t even attempt to grill better)
2. My Aunt Ruby – well at the risk of offending the entire family I still have to say that my favorite family cook is My Aunt Ruby. I have NEVER eaten anything bad that came from her kitchen. She makes everything homemade and I could go on forever listing things but some of my favorites are biscuits, fried chicken, fruit salad, yellow cake with chocolate frosting, green beans and the chicken enchiladas oh my…I use and share that recipe all the time! If I need to credit someone with my love for cooking I would place it there!
3. My Mom, My Mammie (mom’s mom) also had biscuits to die for. Now I admit that I can make a pretty good biscuit myself but when my Mom is in town I have her make me a bunch of biscuits and I freeze them before cooking on a cookie sheet and then The Hubby uses his “Seal a Meal” (he loves that thing) and seals them to keep in the freezer in packs of two. When I want a nice fresh biscuit with a bowl of peaches (something my dad used to feed me and I still love it today) I just remove the biscuits from the freezer, open and place on a baking sheet or piece of foil and bake in oven or toaster oven @350 degrees until brown. My mom also makes the BEST chicken and dumplings in the family…if she doesn’t take that to the church pitch in the whole congregation is disappointed.
4. My cousin Randy hold the title for the Baked Beans. Again, I make them exactly the same and no one would probably know the difference but you know how things just taste better sometimes when someone else makes them…. The Hubby loves both the beans but he wouldn’t even eat baked beans until he had Randy’s and now he is a convert. We call them “baked” beans lightly because we actually make them in a cast iron skillet with lots of bacon crisped up first before adding the rest of the ingredients. I might add though that Justin makes them equally as well!
5. Justin (The Son) well, he is much like his mother. He likes recipes but he also likes to just throw stuff in a pan and see how it turns out. He makes awesome biscuits and gravy ( I am impressed that Justin & Raime both can make sausage gravy, a task many find difficult for some reason) He also makes the best Mexican meat for tacos….don’t tell him I told you but his secret is Rotel tomatoes in the meat cooked long and slow….
6.. Raime (The Daughter) is a Rachael Ray fan and she makes several dishes from her collection that I absolutely love: Balsamic Chicken with Pesto Gravy & Wilted Greens, and a meal of Salsa Stoup with Cheese Quesadillas. She also makes incredible Nutella Biscotti Cookies.
7. Robbie (Future Son-In-Law) makes the best Creme Brulee, there isn’t a restaurant Creme Brulee that can top his, it’s just not possible. I think part of his secret (again, don’t tell) is that he puts extra vanilla bean in when its on the stove top and tops the finished chilled dishes with fresh strawberries after caramelizing the sugar. I can eat one with every meal! (Robbie – I need some now!!!!)
8. The Hubby – ok so I mentioned him already but he makes lots of awesome dishes besides being The Grill King…Chicken Parmesan and his special Chicken Pasta dish are among my favorites but I have to admit the most fun thing he makes is my heart shaped foods. He has made me heart shaped food every year for Valentines day since I have known him. A few examples: Chocolate Chip Cookies, Cherry Pie (he had to make his own pie plate) , Steak, bowl of lucky charms all the charms removed but the hearts, need I go on. The Hubby & Justin also make the best chocolate chip cookies with a huge glass of milk for a treat to me all the time and I LOVE it!
9. My Aunt Doris takes the credit for the best Red Velvet Cake and the best Pot Roast. I have fond memories of both of these dishes. I can recreate the cake but I just can’t top that roast!
10. Last but certainly not least, My Cousin Brandy of course is awesome cook and I love her Chinese Cole Slaw (she is Ruby’s daughter & Chris & Randy are her sons…get the picture lol) , My other Mom makes the best chocolate cake with vanilla frosting, My Mother In Law makes the best veggies on the grill and my Nan-In-Law makes awesome fried chicken we call Nanny Fried Chicken and my very very best friend Susan makes my favorite carrot cake, chocolate sheet cake, potatoe salad and German chocolate cake! (I also love Emily’s Peanute Butter Cookies with chocolate Kisses!)
So now I am starving and off to call Robbie and request Creme Brulee and eat some dinner….hope you enjoyed the list!