One of my family’s favorites is Beef & Mushroom Gravy. They enjoy it with mashed potatoes and a vegetable but they also like to have it as a Manhattan. It’s simple to prepare and quite delish! Although it goes in the crock pot I do a little extra preparing before cooking it there to make it extra good. I know, I know…you want to throw it all in and just be done with it….trust me it’s worth the little bit of extra time for the flavor that comes from it. The complete recipe will be at the bottom of the post but here are a few tips and pics first: I always like to sear or brown meat before I put it in the crock pot and I like to start getting the vegetables tender as well:
I also like to remove the meat and add any wine to the vegetables prior to putting in crock pot so that it cooks out a bit and makes the taste more pleasant and less well….alcoholic lol!
I also put any remaining ingredients in the crock pot and stir before placing the meat on top:
Then I add the drunken vegetables and stir and this is what it looks like as it sets out to cook for about 6 hours on low….no need to stir or attend to it…just walk away!
The finished version looks like the top picture or here again for your viewing pleasure:
|Beef & Mushroom Gravy (Crock Pot!)||
- 2 pounds beef roast cut into chunks
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 1 envelope dry soup mix – onion & mushroom
- 1 can cream mushroom soup (with Garlic)
- 4 ounces mushroom stems and pieces
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup red wine
- mashed potatoes
- Cut meat into chunks. Season with salt & pepper. Sear meat in oil until starts to brown. Add onions and fresh mushrooms and continue to brown on all sides.
- Put in onions and fresh mushrooms and continue to brown on all sides.
- Mix soups, mushrooms and canned mushrooms in bottom of slow cooker.
- Remove meat from the skillet and place in crock pot. Add the wine to the onions and mushrooms and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour onions & mushrooms with wine over meat, stir and cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.