This is my copycat version of MCL’s famous Coconut Pie. My Dad loved Coconut Pie and MCL had the best. One year for Christmas I wanted to surprise Dad so I asked for the recipe and MCL responded with 2 free pies instead. We enjoyed one with dinner and one for an experiement on how to make them. I went through several batches and this is what I came up with. It has been a big hit for many occasions since. Enjoy!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch (heaping)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 can (13 oz) milnot
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large egg yolks (reserve whites)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- prepared pie shell
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 large egg whites
- few grains salt
- In heavy saucepan mix together everything but coconut. Cook on low until thick.
- Stir in coconut. Remove from heat and cool. Stir several times during cooling.
- Allow to cool about half way before pouring into shell.
- To make meringue: Mix cornstarch, sugar, salt and water and cook until thick and clear. Cool
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Continue beating while slowly pouring cooked mixture over. Beat for 5 minutes.
- Spread on to pie and bake @ 450 degrees for 5 – 7 minutes or until golden brown. Watch closely.