Chicken Maque Choux
Author: Best Foodies
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 large onion topped
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1 can rotels drained
- 1 teaspoon Zatarains creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons tomatoe paste concentrate
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces half and half
- 2 chicken breasts grilled and diced
- 2 cups carmelized corn and red peppers
- cooked white rice
- cheese and sour cream
- Carmelized Corn & Red Peppers:
- 4 ears of corn cut off the cob or bag of frozen mixed corn
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Saute corn, red peppers, butter and sugar until tender. Stir in half and half and simmer for few minutes. Should be thick.
- Cook chicken as desired...I season mine with a little salt and pepper and stir fry in a little olive oil. Can use any cooked chicken cut in cubes.
- Make a roux by melting butter in a dutch oven and stir in flour. Simmer until flour turns a deep brown.
- Add onion, pepper, garlic, creole seasoning, tomatoes, tomatoe paste, brown sugar, & worcestershire. Cook stirring constantly until veggies are tender.
- Add broth and cook until thickens. . Add half and half and cook until thick.
- Add chicken and corn mixture. Simmer stirring occasionally, the longer it simmers the deeper the flavor.
- Serve over rice topped with sour cream and cheese.
Recipe by at http://bestfoodies.com/2013/03/05/chicken-maque-choux/